Starting Monday, April 5 we are suspending appointments for 1-on-1 technology assistance due to renovation closing. We will resume appointments Monday, April 26.
Book a 30-minute session to get help with your computer or smartphone. We can assist with email, using the internet, downloading apps, text messaging, and using the camera. Call the Technology Desk at 630/887-0829 for more information. Sessions are limited to IPPL cardholders. In-person sessions take place with plexiglass dividers. Masks are required.
Due to social distancing and the library renovation project we are not offering any in-person technology classes at this time. We hope to start in-person classes again sometime this summer. In the meantime look at our online learning section.
Learn this free online video meeting software the library uses for its online programming by watching this step-by-step tutorial.
Learn on your own time with videos from our expert technology instructors. View all technology videos on YouTube.
- lynda.com from LinkedIn Learning offers thousands of video tutorials taught by industry experts. Topics cover Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word), and 3D printing and design.
- Niche Academy - Online video instruction for using our eLibrary collections, research databases, and technology.
- Computer Basics
- Google - Access all of these free web-based programs with a Google e-mail account, Gmail.
- Google Docs - A word processing application. With Google Docs, you can create, share, and edit documents in your web browser.
- Google Sheets - A program for creating and editing spreadsheets. With Google Sheets, you can create, share, and edit spreadsheets in your web browser.
- Google Slides - A program for creating and editing presentations. With Google Slides, you can create, share, edit, and present slideshows in your web browser.
- Google Drive - A cloud storage service wiith up to 15 GB of space for free, you can store photos, documents, videos, and more in just a few clicks.
- Google Photos - An online storage service that allows you to save, organize, and share all your favorite photographs.
- Google Forms - Create free online surveys, polls, and quizzes. With Google Forms, you can create, edit, personalize, and share surveys in your web browser.
- Pinterest - A social network that allows users to share and discover ideas, interests, recipes, style and DIY guides, and more.
- Twitter - A social media site that lets you interact with other Twitter accounts via “tweets”. For the latest information, follow news outlets, politicians, chefs, athletes, artists, or even your local weather service.
- Learn Free offers free self-paced tutorials to help with technology.
Handouts & Resources
Computer & Tablet Basics
- Windows 10 - Presentation, Keyboard, Mouse, Shortcut Keys, and books on Windows 10
- Email Basics - Email Terms, Attachments
- Internet Basics - Presentation, Internet Terms, and Books on the Internet
- iPad/iPhone Basics- App Guide, iPad Quick Reference Guide, and books on iPhone & iPad
- Samsung Galaxy/Android Basics - Quick Reference Guide, App Guide, and books on Samsung and Android
Microsoft Office 2016
- Excel Formulas & Functions - Handout, and books on Excel
- Excel Sort & Filter - Handout, and books on Excel
- PowerPoint Introduction and Books on PowerPoint
- Word Introduction and Books on Word
- Cutting the Cable Cord/Streaming Services - Streaming Devices and Guide to Free Streaming
- Online Video Software - From free to low-cost options for having online video meetings. The library is using Zoom for online programming.